Tarte tatin recipe from Clonganny House
This is delicious recipe for Tarte tatin from Brona at Clonganny House in Wexford.
- Caster sugar
- Several large Braeburn or Cox apples
- 500g pack of puff pastry
- Cover the base of a deep ovenproof pan with a thin layer of soft butter
- Add a thin layer of caster sugar
- Peel the apples, cut each apple into 4 pieces and remove the core
- Arrange the apples pieces in circles to fill the pan
- Place the pan on a high heat to caramelise the butter and sugar
- While this is happening, roll out the pastry and prick it all over with a fork
- When the apples are ready, remove from the heat and place the pastry on top, making sure to tuck the edges in and ensure all gaps are filled
- Place in an oven at 200 C for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is cooked. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Get a large flat tray or plate (larger than the pan). Place it, face downwards, over the top of the pan. Carefully turn the whole lot over and turn out the Tarte Tatin onto the tray. Take great care as the contents will be very hot and the caramel will be liquid
- Slice and serve with Crème Fraiche or Caramel ice-cream